Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Polio Treatment centers in the world that I know of

This a list of Centers that I know can provide specialized surgical help for the treatment of various neuro musculo skeletal post polio impairments.

Country:US

Hospital for special surgery

This hospital has one of the best reputations in the US for specialized surgeries and frequently ranks at the top of US news & world report rankings for orthopedics
However after browsing its ages I have not seen anything specifically directed towards polio treatment.
Recommended for Bones deformities:& physical therapy
http://www.hss.edu/
Bones deformities:
Website: http://www.hss.edu/condition-list_limb-lengthening-deformity.asp

With primary residence in Jersey City, NJ, I wanted to go and check this hospital for myself. Initial Consultation: $350. Most insurance won't reimburse or won't reimburse enough.

Pakistan
The Post Polio & Rehabilitation Surgery Clinic
http://www.omchospital.com/Inline/polio.html
The website is currently blocked from China, but when I checked it two years ago it seemed to have an integrated approach to the treatment that I liked a lot.
However, right now there is the country risk
China
Prof. Qin Sihe
According to Prof. Qin's book, "The surgical treatment of the post poliomyelitis sequelae" published in Chinese, China still has about 2 million people with various degrees of polio related impairments. Qin himself has performed surgeries on over 15000 cases.
He is currently my primary physician on the disease in cooperation with Guangji Hospital in Beijing. He already performed surgeries on me an I plan to have a couple more surgeries with him this year. If you ever go to see him, mention my name 孔书 (pronounced: kongshu in Chinese). His website:http://www.qinsihe.com

Mayo Clinic
Website: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/post-polio-syndrome/DS00494
Emphasis is on Post Polio Syndrome effects, but the center has excellent reputation and top tier related surgical specialties. I tried to go there in early 2006 but the process of scheduling an appointment was too tortuous for me. I had to have a physician referral first and then wait for a couple months

Post Polio Institute
I should also mention the post polio institute in Englewood NJ. The website contains a lot of useful information about how to handle Post Polio Syndrome effects. He is very active in having PPS survivors rights recognized in the US and bring great awareness to the disease in general. His practice does not emphasize surgical options.
Website: www.postpolioinfo.com/

Country: Turkey
Istanbul
Sema Hospital
Website: http://www.semahastanesi.com.tr/2008/en/icerik.php?id=123
Found through web search. Inquire for yourself.

Most Centers that do limb lengthening also correct bone related deformities. There are too many to name; a simle google search should help find one near where you live

1 comment:

  1. The polio is a degenerative disease ... thanks for the contribution because my aunt suffered from it and because it was paralyzed in the hospital folliculitis is an excellent information ....

    ReplyDelete